Welcome to the CAWorks Documentation page.
The software application Computational Anatomy Works (CAWorks) was developed to support computational anatomy and shape analysis. To learn more about CAWorks capabilities with regard cardiac shape analysis, click on the links below.
The software application Computational Anatomy Works (CAWorks) was developed to support computational anatomy and shape analysis. CAWorks beta 50 is available for Windows 32 and 64-bit, Macintosh OSX, and Linux 32 and 64-bit operating system. CAWorks is available through mristudio.org under: https://www.mristudio.org/download/binaries/caworks/ (registration required).
The capabilities of CAWorks include:
- Interactive landmark placement to create segmentation (mask) of desired region of interest
- Specialized landmark placement plugins for subcortical structures such as hippocampus and amygdala
- Support for multiple Medical Imaging data formats, such as Nifti, Analyze, Freesurfer, DICOM and landmark data
- Quadra Planar view visualization
- Shape Analysis plugin modules, such as Large Deformation Diffeomorphic Metric Mapping (LDDMM):
CAWorks extends ParaView, an open source, multi-platform, freely available program for parallel, interactive, scientific visualization. Paraview is an important visualization tool for XSEDE (formerly TeraGrid) researchers. Its client-server architecture facilitates remote visualization of datasets and the generation of level of detail (LOD) models that maintain interactive frame rates for large datasets.
CAWorks has been further enhanced with a browser plugin module for the Extensible Neuroimaging Archive Toolkit (XNAT) and its CVRG-developed cousin XNAT for Cardiovascular Imaging (XNAT-CVI). The XNAT(-CVI) browser enables the retrieval of medical image data from XNAT(-CVI) for analysis in CAWorks and the storage of CAWorks analysis results in XNAT(-CVI).
An alternative cardiac analysis software pipeline is available within CAWorks. This software allows researchers in cardiac imaging field to perform shape analysis of cardiac left ventricle (LV) using multi_detector computed tomography images. Using CAWorks, cardiac imaging researchers would be able to construct average LV shape and map that image to the images of different subjects. By studying the mapping, one can identify quantitative shape differences between disease or normal heart or between two disease states.
CAWorks is open source. The latest version may be downloaded and compiled with the instructions below.
CAWorks Opensource Compiling Instructions
On linux, to compile, simply run:
git clone email@example.com:CAWorks.git mkdir build cd build cmake ../CAWorks cmake ../CAWorks make
# AppStore Install Xcode # AppStore Install Xcode Command line tools # http://www.mkyong.com/mac/how-to-install-gcc-compiler-on-mac-os-x/ # install macports http://www.macports.org/ # install git http://git-scm.com/download/mac‎ sudo bash port install curl glib2 cryptlib bzr coreutils doxygen graphviz gnuplot libgcrypt autoconf automake dbus ghostscript exit mkdir /tmp/caworks cd caworks git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:CAWorks.git mkdir build cd build cmake ../CAWorks cmake ../CAWorks make
1) How to download CAWorks
CAWorks may be freely downloaded through MRI Studio. You must first register and then use your username/password to acquire the software at: https://www.mristudio.org/download/binaries/caworks/.
2) How to create a template using CAWorks
User Guide to Cardiac Template Estimation, with examples: Click the Cardiac Template Estimation link in the CVRG Wiki.
3) How to match with a template using CAWorks
User Guide to lddmm-cardiac Matching, with examples: Click the LDDMM-Cardiac matching link in the CVRG Wiki
4) How to analyze data using the scripts
Further descriptions for Heart Atlas Generation Pipeline information can be found at the links below.
- CVRG Wiki Page: Human Heart Shape Analysis Pipeline Overview of steps taken in Human Left-Ventricular Cardiac Shape Analysis Workflow
- Cardiac Shape Analysis Pipeline: Detailed description of the In-vivo human left ventricular shape analysis pipeline using multi-detector computed tomography.
- CVRG Wiki Page: Canine Heart Analysis Pipeline Overview of Canine Heart Atlas Generation from DTI images using LDDMM.
5) Additional information
- CAWorks User Support group (link to facebook CAWorks community page)
- Center for Imaging Science Poster: Computational Anatomy Works (CAWorks): Enhancing Paraview for Medical Imaging (17.6mb PDF Download)
6) Data Sets
The links for the data sets used in script testing and validation are contained in the tool documentation wiki pages referenced above.